[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Fri Oct 31 19:14:36 EST 2003

> > Same thing. :( It's one of the things I tried, even as root. If I try
> > mount -t udf /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom then it returns an error saying that
> > UDF isn't a supported filesystem (of course, I'd imaging that cdrom points
> > to scd0 so it should work but I never looked at that yet.
>
> Well if you dont have UDF support, then no matter where the cdrom link
> points, its not going to work :-)
>
> I'm sorry to hear you've lost stuff. Its always heart breaking when that
> happens.

If you don't have udf on your distro, download it and compile:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf/

I did this to get udf as a loadable module for Slackware 7.1 (kernel
2.2.16). Get both UDF and UDF-tools.

After you install it, you need to add it to your system by adding a
line:

/sbin/modprobe udf

to something like /etc/rc.d/rc.modules (this is what it is for
Slackware).

That will will give you udf capabilities to READ DirectCD/Packet written
CD's.

> Oct 31 11:21:46 localhost kernel: udf: registering filesystem
> Oct 31 11:21:49 localhost kernel: UDF-fs: No VRS found
> Oct 31 11:22:09 localhost kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0,
> CDB: Read (10) 00 00 00 11 a4 00 00 14 00
> Oct 31 11:22:09 localhost kernel: Current sd0b:00: sense key Medium Error
> Oct 31 11:22:09 localhost kernel: Additional sense indicates Random
> positioning error

IF adding udf doesn't help, then you may have some serious issues with
the CD. I've had similar issues with Memorex CD-RW disks with my CD-RW
drives (a BenQ IDE drive and a Yamaha SCSI). No problems with Imation
disks, just the Memorex. Once I have th "Medium Error", there's nothing
I can do including blanking the disk.

Good Luck!

Alvin