[Techtalk] Booting into rescue mode when nothing is wrong

Hanlie Pretorius hpretorius at pnp.co.za
Thu Oct 30 10:27:20 EST 2003

Hi,

I want to resize a Linux partition and, according to the manuals, I must
boot into rescue mode so that I can use the parted utility.

However, when I boot from a boot disk, the kernel picks up all the
partitions and their file systems and boots as normal anyway. How can I get
around this?

What would happen if I booted normally and unmounted the partition that I
want to resize? It's the main partition with all my data in it. Will I still
be able to access the parted utility (which I think is in the /sbin
directory)?

Thanks
Hanlie

Read our disclaimer at: http://www.picknpay.co.za/email-disclaimer.htm
If you don't have web access, the disclaimer can be mailed to you on request.
Disclaimer requests to be sent to it-security at pnp.co.za