[Techtalk] Web page downloads with null characters

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Thu Oct 23 10:17:56 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:19:52 +0200, Hamster wrote:

> But what happens when you choose View Source (or your browser's equivalent)?

it's fine.  i see exactly the same content as when i fetch the page
manually or with wget.

> For me, the page (as so far as you could call it a page) displayed fine, but
> when I chose  View Source, that's when I got all the squares and weird stuff
> happening.

it's starting to sound like a locale/charset problem.  what's your $LANG
and $SUPPORTED?.  on my rh7.3 machine (the one i use most) i have:

    [johnc at dropbear ~]$ set|egrep 'LANG|SUPPORTED'
    LANG=en_AU
    SUPPORTED=en_AU:en:en_US.iso885915:en_US:en

the default for rh9 is to use utf-8:

    [johnc at taipan ~]$ egrep 'LANG|SUPPORTED' /etc/sysconfig/i18n
    #LANG="en_AU.UTF-8"
    LANG="en_AU"
    SUPPORTED="en_AU.UTF-8:en_AU:en:en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"

i've removed utf-8 because it's known to break a few things.  i can't
test the page in question on that box because it's my web/mail server
and doesn't have X installed (and even if it did, it's 20km away and
i'm only on a 56k dialup).

if your $LANG includes utf-8, can you try changing it to see if it makes
a difference?

cheers,

john
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net