[Techtalk] Guide to the command line

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Oct 22 15:06:33 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003, John Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:34:55 +1000, Mary wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got any good URLs that they recommend for someone who knows
> > their command line basics but has no way of finding out the range of
> > command line utilities that are available?
>
> are any of these suitable?:
>
>     http://www.canberra.edu.au/~sam/whp/unix-cmd.html
>     http://pangea.stanford.edu/computerinfo/unix/shell/commands.shtml
>     http://www.cs.uic.edu/~consult/how/unix.html

Thanks for the suggestions John and others, I'll send feedback to
techtalk in a day or so.

> also, has he tried using "apropos"?

I'm not sure. After my own terrible experiences with apropos when I was
first exposed to UNIX (I don't think it once had a helpful suggestion --
anything where a newbie can't guess the query terms is obviously bad in
this scenario) I hesitate to recommend it to others.

-Mary