[Techtalk] Web page downloads with null characters

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Tue Oct 21 20:34:26 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:58:41 +0200
Dan Richter <daniel.richter at wimba.com> wrote:

> This page:
>    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/iso-date
> seems to look fine under Windows, but on my Red Hat machine it downloads
> with null characters (character zero) inserted between every two
> characters. This is true whether I use Mozilla, Konqueror or wget.
>
> Can anyone tell me where the problem is?

Wow! Thats fascinating. My SO and I are both running Opera, he on windows
and me on linux. On his windows machine the webpage renders one single &, my
opera renders "<<"

But I see what you mean about the view source!!!

This is my guess. The page I see is unicode - two bytes for each char,
hence the square. The XML page is declared as iso-8859-1, but I'm wondering
if something screwy is happening in the conversion from xml -> html

I'm just guessing though... if someone else comes up with a different
theory, believe them :-)

Hamster