OT: Re: EBay experiences? (was: [Techtalk] Wireless Help)

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Tue Oct 21 13:37:42 EST 2003

Quoting Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com>:

> On Tuesday 21 October 2003 8:45 am, Brenda Bell wrote:
> > > You don't really *need* a Linksys.  If price is a concern, and your
> > > house is not too big and/or harsh on wireless signal (a 2.4GHz
> cordless
> > >
> > > phone would be of similar strength of a WLAN card), you can get an
> > > D-Link AP at a lower price.  You can pick one up at less than
> US$100, or
> > >
> > > US$50 if you look harder.
> >
> > ebay's a good alternative for WAP11's... prices for current auctions
> > average 40-60$
>
> I know lots of people swear by EBay, is it really worth all the
> aggravation to
> save a few dollars? What if your item is defective? What about warranty
>
> support? I've always preferred the local mom n pop computer shop, they
> don't
> always have the rock-bottomest prices, but the service and support are
> unbeatable.

Totally agree... but if price ***is*** an issue, then it's really a matter
of what your other priorities are -- e.g., buying a DLink direct for $65 vs
a WAP11 on ebay for $65.  FWIW, I've made exactly two purchases on ebay
and probably wouldn't have done either of them if the seller didn't have
great feedback from lots of buyers.  At least one of the WAP11 sellers has
6000+ positive feedbacks (300+ for the current month)... that's usually a
pretty good indicator -- if price is an issue.

--
Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com