[Techtalk] Installation Help Needed for Pan

Dominik Schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Mon Oct 20 23:56:20 EST 2003

Hi,

TechChiq wrote:

>[...] But when I go to run Pan, it's looking for
>libgtkspell.so.0 and says this:
>
>pan: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkspell.so.0: cannot open
>shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>Odd because a whereis shows this:
>
>libgtkspell.so: /usr/local/lib/libgtkspell.so.0
>/usr/local/lib/libgtkspell.so

Maybe /usr/local/lib is not a default library path on your system.
Look in /etc/ld.so.conf to check.

If /usr/local/lib is not in there, you can add it and run
# ldconfig -n /usr/local/lib
afterwards (this scans for new librariers in the specified dir
and adds these to the library cache /etc/ld.so.cache)

Or, you can call pan using the command
$  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib  pan
(this is bash syntax, and I assume your LD_LIBRARY_PATH is unset)

or creating an alias from this.

This is how it works on Debian, but I'm sure things don't look too
different on RedHat (?).

hope this helps
regards
dominik