[Techtalk] Mandrake 9.2

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 20 05:08:04 EST 2003

Mandrake=good stuff
	I found Mandrake to be a great starter distro. I came from a Macintosh only
backround, I believe Mandrake has kept me using Linux. I tried Redhat 5-6,
not an easy thing, for a Mac user. Mndrk 8.0-8.2 were good 9.0 was a pain.
9.1 mandrake is the closest to Mac in font rendering and quality and a leap
ahead of 9.0. I have high hopes for 9.2, but an not sure what they can
improve.
	I found  irc.freenode.net #mandrake. They have helped a lot with very little
pain. Mdk is part debian, with the urpmi update utility, part Mac in the
clear font rendering, quite stable.
	I almost went to debian/knoppix because the one reoccuring problem I had was
getting mdk-labeled programs and the up-date (default-included) servers were
often busy. The below url fixed all that.  With CLI abilities it wouldn't be
necessary. I hope it is updated to 9.2. Cooker is even included as a
possible source.
	Easy urpmi config for Mandrake
	http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php#third

	Andrew