[Techtalk] About to go insane over Modem Problem

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 19 18:54:05 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 14:57, PCasper wrote:
> I've gotten Debian installed... haven't touched the firewall yet
> because.....
>
> it won't find my modem.

The only thing I can think of that you haven't tried is going into your
BIOS and seeing if there's a "PnP OS" setting.  I have Award BIOS which
has that option, don't know about others..  Setting it to No will tell
the BIOS to assign IRQs and COMs instead of the OS doing it.  Might
help, might not..

You might also look at the modem and see if there's a jumper where you
can turn off PnP and set the IRQ and COM manually, but there probably
wouldn't be one unless your modem is fairly old.

Hope that helps..  but I'm not sure it will.  =/

--ashleigh