[Techtalk] network trouble

Dennis Wheeler wheelers at eskimo.com
Sun Oct 19 09:14:03 EST 2003

On 19 Oct 2003, perimorph wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 00:37, Dennis Wheeler wrote:
> > I have a linux gateway for a windows lan but I can't communicate  with the
> > linux box on it's exteranl interface
> [etc]
> > I don't know what the problem is, and I don't know where to look next.
> > Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Hi Dennis --
>
> Have you checked the linux computer's routing table?  ("route" command)
> You might want to make sure that the right interface is set up as your
> default gateway.  If that's not it, it would be useful to see the output
> of that (with global IP addresses x'd out, of course).
>
> You said you shut down the firewall, but were you also running any NAT
> (aka Masquerading) stuff?  If that's still set up, your config might not
> expect the linux box to ever receive packets.
>
> Sorry for the barely-coherent reply, it's 3:30a here..  I'll check back
> in the morning..  or the afternoon...  ^_-
>
> --ashleigh

Thanks for all the replies,

it seems to have just magically started working again -- there was a wind
storm and intermittent power failures so I'm suspecting hardware
failures now. In fact one of the cpu fans wasn't working, I had to give it
a little push start with my finger (I'll be replacing that one soon,
maybe the entire box).

Yes, the routing table was fine, except of an odd entry on the internal
interface for 169.254.0.0.  I couldn't find which config file was adding
that entry (rh9).

So maybe between deleting that entry and stopping and restarting the
firewall (ipchains) several times, and perhaps the possible intermittent
hardware failures... I don't know.

I don't like magic, I'd rather know exactly what was broke and how I
fixed it (if I fixed it). :)

Thanks again to everyone,
-- Dennis