[Techtalk] network trouble

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 19 03:27:24 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 00:37, Dennis Wheeler wrote:
> I have a linux gateway for a windows lan but I can't communicate  with the
> linux box on it's exteranl interface
[etc]
> I don't know what the problem is, and I don't know where to look next.
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hi Dennis --

Have you checked the linux computer's routing table?  ("route" command)
You might want to make sure that the right interface is set up as your
default gateway.  If that's not it, it would be useful to see the output
of that (with global IP addresses x'd out, of course).

You said you shut down the firewall, but were you also running any NAT
(aka Masquerading) stuff?  If that's still set up, your config might not
expect the linux box to ever receive packets.

Sorry for the barely-coherent reply, it's 3:30a here..  I'll check back
in the morning..  or the afternoon...  ^_-

--ashleigh