[Techtalk] Syslinux/Lilo boot floppies...

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Oct 6 16:00:50 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 09:58:58AM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Stratis Aftousmis thought:

> and Alvin said this stuff:
> >
> > I recently set up Slackware 8.1 and initially used the syslinux bootdisk
> > floppy to keep the 8.1 system seperate from the 7.1 main system I've
> > been running.
> >
> > I found that I was NOT able to use my IDE CDRW drive, no matter what I
> > did.
>
> I had a hard time with that too, I also tryed enabling ide-scsi emulation
> in '/etc/rc.d/rc.modules', no go. I also tryed 'hdc=ide-scsi' as a
> parameter with my boot disk, no go. I couldn't get it to work Until i
> installed LILO.

You should be able to pass kernel parameters by editing the "append" line
in syslinux.cfg which you'll find on the boot floppy.  My mindi[0] syslinux
boot config looks like:

label compare
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img ramdisk_size=24000 rw root=/dev/ram0

among other stuff.  You should be able to add 'hdc=ide-scsi' to this line
on the boot floppy.  That said, you should also be able to pass it to the
kernel at boot time also.  Have you a bad syslinux in Slack 8.1?

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)