[Techtalk] Syslinux/Lilo boot floppies...

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 4 19:11:12 EST 2003

Hi ya'll,

I recently set up Slackware 8.1 and initially used the syslinux bootdisk
floppy to keep the 8.1 system seperate from the 7.1 main system I've
been running.

I found that I was NOT able to use my IDE CDRW drive, no matter what I
did.

So, I finally got the idea to try making a Lilo bootdisk and see what
happens, and voila! The IDE CDRW drive is alive as a CDRW ("cdrecord
-scanbus" finally found the drive)!

I mention this as it may be a problem for others who might not think
about the differences between a syslinux bootdisk and other bootdisks. I
personally thought that the changes made to Lilo were also reflected in
the syslinux bootdisk, but apparently not. The Slackware install
recommends the syslinux bootdisk, but doesn't mention that things like
ide-scsi might not work.

Alvin