[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Fri Oct 3 00:07:26 EST 2003

Gina Lanik wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:29:02AM -0500, Julie wrote:
>[...]
>

>>Speaking of which, how reliable are LVM and ReiserFS?
>>I just added a 250MB Maxtor I'm planning to use with
>>them and want to know how paranoid I have to be about
>>the data disappearing ...
>>

>I'd rather use ext3 than ReiserFS because if the journal is broken you can
>still use the FS as ext2 which you won't be able to with ReiserFS IIRC.
>
>LVM works like a charm, we use it in production enviroment and no problems
>so far.

I've used reiserfs now since 2.4 came out with it. Never had problems,
except when hardware went over to never-never land.
I read the reiserfs list, and only times i can remember the journal to
go broken is with HW breaking. At that time its time to start exchanging
disks in my view. That said, i still run my important data on mirrored
disks. Some with HW raid controller, some SW mirror.
Seen several reports of LVM and reiserfs combinations on the list, and
those went well. No personal experience though. I do not use LVM.

Regards,

Rudy