[Techtalk] Errors when suspending laptop if CompactFlash card/adapter is present

Erin Mulder meara at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Oct 1 11:49:13 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm getting errors when suspending if I have a CompactFlash card (in a
PCMCIA adapter) inserted.  It doesn't have to be mounted to cause the
problem, just physically present.  When I take out the adapter, the
laptop suspends fine.

More detail...

Laptop: IBM ThinkPad T30
Distro/Kernel: Red Hat 9, 2.4.20-20.9
Card/PCMCIA-Adapter: Simple Technology CompactFlash

Symptoms:
If I try to suspend from a virtual console, it fails with no error
messages.   If I try to suspend while in graphical mode, it fails and
prints the messages below between the time I hit suspend and when I
finally get the screen to come back again:

resume warning: bios doesn't restore PCI state properly
resume warning: if resume failed, try booting with resume=force
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1553501, scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
hdc: lost interrupt
CDTEXT INFO: use GET_FEATURE_LIST(0x46)...
CDTEXT INFO: try to read, how long CDTEXT is?
CDTEXT INFO: CDTEXT is a 7 byte(s) long
CDTEXT INFO: try to read CDTEXT
CDTEXT INFO: read 7 byte(s) of CDTEXT
CDTEXT INFO: free_cdtext_info() called
CDTEXT ERROR: invalid packet at 0x00000000:
eth1: Error -110 setting multicast list.
eth1: Error -110 setting multicast list.
zone still contained 2 blocks
hde: Hitachi CVM1.1.1, CFA DISK drive
ide2 at 0x100-0x107,0x10e on irq 3
hde: attached ide-disk driver.
hde: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

(Not sure if any of this is relevant besides the last 5 lines, and since
it's starting with a resume error, maybe the suspend attempt printed
nothing.)

Can anyone help me either understand this or further troubleshoot it?
I've tried googling for flash, suspend, etc. but just get a sea of setup
pages that mention suspending and flash cards but not the combination of
the two. Searching for pieces of the error message hasn't been too
helpful either (at least not helpful to me at my current level of
experience).

Cheers,
Erin