[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed Oct 1 15:11:18 EST 2003

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:45:00 -0500
Julie <txjulie at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> There =are= quieter fans out there (I have two or three in the box
> by my left foot), but when you have 5 or 6 case fans, 2 power
> supply fans, 2 processor fans, and a disk drive fan, it all adds
> up.  If noise is an issue you might want to look at water coolers.

This is one of those circumstances where replacing two 6cm case fans with
one 12cm case fan make a world of difference as far as noise is concerned.
Of course it depends on your exact setup, but it Worked For Me(tm) :-)

I'm playing around with water cooling at the moment. Buying one of the
available kits is too expensive for me, so I'm currently reading up on
temperature co-efficients and flow rates to see what I can make for myself
using off the shelf bits and pieces. I'm beginning to suspect though I'm
going to have to go for a kit, in which case <http://www.water-cooling.com/>
is a good place to start. There are lots of case-modding and overclocking
sites that have forums and stuff on water cooling, the problem I've run into
that because most of the are US based, its difficult to find the products
and components they mention over here in Europe.

Hamster