[Techtalk] Removing sane from RH7.3

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Nov 23 21:02:36 EST 2003

ed orphan writes:
> How do I delete the default version of
> sane that comes with Red Hat 7.3 ?
[ ... ]
> I can not find any of the old sane files anywhere!
> I can't delete them if I can't find them.
> I've been using
>           find -name sane -print

If sane was installed as part of Redhat, then it will have been
installed as part of an RPM package.  You want to remove the whole
package, not just files that have "sane" in the name.

rpm -qa | grep -i sane

should show you all the packages you have installed which are
related to sane.  To remove packages:

rpm -e [package1] [package2] ...

You may get error messages when removing the packages saying that
other packages depend on them.  If you have RPM versions for the
new sane packages, then you don't have to remove the old ones
explicitly; just tell rpm to upgrade (I think that's rpm -U,
but man rpm will tell you for sure) instead of removing the old
packages.

If you're installing the new sane from source rather than from RPM, and
you're sure that you're installing enough to fully replace what you're
removing, then you can force the rpm -e by adding a --nodeps or a
--force.  (Again, man rpm is your friend here -- it will tell you all
about the various options.)

	...Akkana