[Techtalk] floppy disks @#$!!

wendy wendy at laposte.net
Fri Nov 21 12:20:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 18:40, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> Just to state the obvious, but you do always unmount the floppy before
> ejecting it?  Otherwise the data may never get written to the disk.
>
> Also, 'sync' is the command to force the flushing of the filesytem buffers.
> This will force the data to the disk even without unmounting.

What exactly is supermount in fstab. If the floppy is configured with
supermount, does it still need to be unmounted. Does the same go for
cdroms?  Here is my supermount entry for floppy:

none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0
0

as opposed to the old:
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

I copied this off the supermount off my husband's machine so that I
wouldn't have to be root to mount the floppy. I couldn't get into it
easily and it all seems to be automatic but I have been good about
unmounting it since I put the supermount entry in and after your post,
I'm wondering if I'm playing with fire.

Wendy