[Techtalk] floppy disks @#$!!

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri Nov 14 19:40:00 EST 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 09:00, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is there some trick to using floppy disks on Linux? Or are floppy disks,
> in general, just poo? I'm trying to save docs from Open Office on
> floppy disks. Sometimes it appears to work, and the file is readable.
> Sometimes it appears to work, and the file is not readable. Sometimes
> OO spits up a hairball and gives up.

Just to state the obvious, but you do always unmount the floppy before
ejecting it?  Otherwise the data may never get written to the disk.

Also, 'sync' is the command to force the flushing of the filesytem buffers.
This will force the data to the disk even without unmounting.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox