[Techtalk] floppy disks @#$!!

Mike kenziem at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 15 09:02:24 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 17:00, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is there some trick to using floppy disks on Linux? Or are floppy disks,
> in general, just poo? I'm trying to save docs from Open Office on
> floppy disks. Sometimes it appears to work, and the file is readable.
> Sometimes it appears to work, and the file is not readable. Sometimes
> OO spits up a hairball and gives up.
>
> Yeah I know, get a USB pen thingy...  :)

I find that the easiest way to deal with floppies is with the mtools.
mcopy mdir mdel.

If the file is too big to fit on a floppy I use split to make it fit then
cat to reassemble the file.

I recently did a slack 8.1 install from floppy and got a lot of practice.

--
Ottawa, Canada

Collector of vintage computers
http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600