[Techtalk] Re: Making Mozilla use IE's user-agent string (Re: Recruiting :^) )

Tracey Grrl Geek grrliegeek at elenari.net
Fri Nov 14 16:12:45 EST 2003

And it was said by TechChiq-->

> Opera has similar settings, and lets you (iirc) even disguise
> yourself as using Netscape/Mozilla or IE. I don't use Opera anymore
> though so I forgot where it is in the menus. I switched to Konqueror.

In Opera it's in the quick preferences. You can get to them one of two
ways. Either use the menu Edit - Quick Preferences or press F12 (I
think, or F9 if it's not F12, not at my PC with Opera right now). In
the quick preferences is "Identify As" with a list of browsers.

> Faster and seems a bit more accurate rendering fonts.

For me, speed is not a problem in Konqueror but for some reason it
refusts to display the Palatino font as anything other than boxes. I
don't know why. This means that sites such as gentoo.org are partially
unreadable.

> In Mozilla, I poked around for awhile and couldn't find a place where
> I could change this type of thing. Maybe someone else could help (I
> would be interested myself for Mozilla).

In Firebird, there's an extension called "User agent switcher" which
allows you to switch your reported agent (Akkana mentioned this). The
command goes under the Tools menu.

I couldn't find an option in the default preferences either for version
1.5. If someone needed the functionality, I would point them at the
extensins list for Mozilla here:
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

and download the User Agent Switcher (it's available for both Mozilla &
Firebird). I'd echo Akkana's caution about keeping your browser set to
spoof IE all the time for the same reason. Too many web designers think
they only have to code for IE or possibly IE / Netscape because
"everyone uses those". They need to see the proof in their web logs of
true user agent data to convince them that this is not the case.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789