[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Sat Nov 1 01:01:37 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:14:36 +0000, Alvin Goats <agoats at compuserve.com>
wrote:

> If you don't have udf on your distro, download it and compile:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf/

Thank you for this! I don't think I had that in the distro at all. I'm
downloading it now. :)

> That will will give you udf capabilities to READ DirectCD/Packet written
> CD's.

That's what I was hoping for. :) I appreciate this. I hope it'll work. At
least for future discs if not the one I'm trying to recover.

> IF adding udf doesn't help, then you may have some serious issues with
> the CD. I've had similar issues with Memorex CD-RW disks with my CD-RW
> drives (a BenQ IDE drive and a Yamaha SCSI). No problems with Imation
> disks, just the Memorex. Once I have th "Medium Error", there's nothing
> I can do including blanking the disk.

I'm thinking it might not be the CD but the drive too. I remember in
Winblowz I had Nero 5 (which worked well) and InCD which was loaded into
the system tray for "on the fly" integration with explorer and 2xexplorer
(what I used for a file manager) so I could use CD-RWs much like you do
floppy drives. Well, the CD-RWs seemed to burn at a rate of 75% toast.
:( It might too be the CD-RWs but I'm not sure. I think they were new ones
actually. Even erasing them didn't work.

I might first grab some brand-new CD-RWs and try again. If that don't
work... I guess I'll have to try and save up for a long while to replace
the CD-RW (a LOOONG while because I want DVD-RW too! :)

The CD-R burning works great in K3b though, so I'll rely on that and
floppies for the smaller stuff.

Thanks again for the info...

TechChiq