[Techtalk] Hardware Compatibility LCD Monitor

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Tue May 20 07:32:32 EST 2003

Raena Lea-Shannon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an LCD monitor. I have a very good deal being offered for a
> Samsung173V TFT LCD Monitor I am running SuSE 8.1 and the Knowledge Database
> has the Samsung 171M TFT LCD Monitor which seems to be the predecessor of the
> 173V.
>
> Does anyone know if the 173V will be compatible with SuSE 8.1 or for that
> matter the Linux 2.4.19 kernel?

If the monitor will run with WinDoze, it should run just fine
with Linux.  The LCD monitors I've seen work by determining
the various horizontal and vertical frequencies and mapping
that into their screen.  I have a 17" TFT monitor in the
kitchen and sometimes it displays an "AUTO CONFIG" message
while trying to figure out the new screen settings.

The one big difference I've noticed is I can't make it do
geometries it wasn't intended to do.  So if you're like me and
drive a 15" glass tube at 1280x1024 because you can actually
=read= a screen at that resolution, you'll be disappointed to
discover you can't drive a 17" TFT tube at 1600x1200.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.