[Techtalk] Problems with Netatalk

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Thu May 15 16:00:05 EST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 PMarshall at flyingrhino.com wrote:

> I've got a RedHat 8 server with Netatalk 1.4b2 installed to allow Macintosh
> connectivity.  As long as someone is logged into the server, the
> Macintoshes can connect to the shares just fine.  As soon as the server is
> logged out, the Macs get a message that the server is going down for
> maintenance.  This server is also running Samba for 20 Windows boxes with
> no problems.  Any ideas?

was this a machine that you upgraded to Red Hat 8 with the "upgrade"
option from an earlier version of Red Hat?  Red Hat 8 should have shipped
with netatalk 1.5.3, which may alleviate some of your troubles.  I
haven't seen 1.4* since about 6.2, and a lot has changed. "up2date
netatalk" may get you those newer packages, or they'll be on the CDs and
on the ftp sites on the web.

We had to upgrade the stock netatalk in 7.3 to 1.5.5 to fully support
our OSX clients and get rid of some weirdness.  (our appletalk server also
runs samba, too)

HTH

--mandi