[Techtalk] Display problems in AbiWord 1.0.5

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Fri May 9 19:56:36 EST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:43:59PM -0400, Caitlyn Martin wrote:
> I am having problems with AbiWord 1.0.5 on a Mandrake 9.1 system.
> Basically, the display of documents is horrible:  letters are all spaced
> out and words aren't properly spaced.  If I reduce the font size the

Ditto on RH9.  I compiled 1.0.5 from source; a l l   t e x t   l o o k s
l i k e   t h i s.  RH-supplied 1.0.4 doesn't suffer from this
particular problem, but it crashes whenever I type an euro sign (and
my locale is fi_FI.UTF-8).

My guess is that it's an unicode problem, or rather an abiword
problem, i.e. abiword doesn't have a clue how to display utf-8 text OR
it's a font problem; abiword can't get the fonts it needs through xfs
or (better) xft.  RH probably patched 1.0.4 to get it working
properly.  AbiWord is such a nice wp, but unicode support is
absolutely needed.  I think the cvs version might work, but I'm not up
to compiling it.  At least I was told that cvs version doesn't crash
just by typing AltGr+e (or 5, or several other letters), so you might
try that if you can do the compiling.  If you do, I'm interested in if
it works, too.

Eeva

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando