[Techtalk] Cisco routers anyone?

nicole colby at wsu.edu
Thu May 8 18:35:32 EST 2003

You do need to be in interface mode to set the IP. You might try 'show
interfaces' (in enable mode) to see what interfaces you have to choose
from. Make sure you know which is LAN and which is WAN.

Also they are numbered, so you will have to use "0" for the first
interface of that name. So, interface vlan 0 might have worked.

The biggest thing with cisco interfaces is to remember the question mark.
If you're not sure, just hit the question mark and it will tell you what
you "should" be looking to put in that space. Example:

c1720-ios(config)#interface ?
  Async              Async interface
  BVI                Bridge-Group Virtual Interface
  CTunnel            CTunnel interface
  Dialer             Dialer interface
  Ethernet           IEEE 802.3
  FastEthernet       FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
  Group-Async        Async Group interface
  Lex                Lex interface
  Loopback           Loopback interface
  Multilink          Multilink-group interface
  Null               Null interface
  Tunnel             Tunnel interface
  Vif                PGM Multicast Host interface
  Virtual-Template   Virtual Template interface
  Virtual-TokenRing  Virtual TokenRing
  range              interface range command

c1720-ios(config)#interface fastethernet?
FastEthernet

c1720-ios(config)#interface fastethernet ?
  <0-0>  FastEthernet interface number

c1720-ios(config)#interface fastethernet 0
c1720-ios(config-if)#

At that point I can enter the IP for that interface (the command you have
should work).

Things like 'ip route' are globals, while 'ip address' is a per-interface
thing.

-nicole

At 17:43 on May 8, Mary Wood shook the earth with: