[Techtalk] Cisco routers anyone?

Mary Wood empea at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 17:43:24 EST 2003

Before I can dive into my first Linux swimming pool,
we must get the router configured. And there's already
a snag I hope someone has an easy answer for.

It's a used Cisco 1700 router. I need to assign it a
new IP address, as it's currently showing the addy for
its old home. I'm interfacing through a Window$
machine, using SecureCRT.

I'm in global config mode, trying the entry:

router(config)#ip address 12.345.678.9 255.255.255.128

12.345... being the new ip we want and 255... being
the subnet.

It's telling me "%invalid input detected at..." and
indicates the problem is the space between "address
12.345..." I've tried no space, dash, semi-colon,
though I'm certain that a space is correct.

I'm also suspecting I should be in interface mode, but
can't for the life of me get there. I'm trying:

router(config)#interface vlan

I get the error "%incomplete command" I pulled up a
list out of the help file of the various interfaces
one can use and I get the same "%incomplete command"
with all of them. Incedentally, I don't know which
interface I should be in, just that I'd like to get
into interface mode to try changing the ip address
from there.

Sigh. Feel like I've absorbed everything else under
the sun today about Cisco routers *except* how to
change the ip address. >_<

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

- Mary Wood