[Techtalk] Re: Mailman/Sendmail & alias issue.

Terri Oda spot at toybox.ca
Wed May 7 16:49:07 EST 2003

Jennifer Davis writes:
> 	Here is another request from the RTM department, but I am finding
> it awkward to find the right M.  I have successfully installed sendmail on
> my machine (soleil.jenn.ca).  I am actually surprised I got it on the
> first shot.  Below is an error message I got when trying to write to the
> list.  From the README that came with mailman, I was told that if I use
> sendmail, I need to set up an alias for the list.  I really don't know how
> to do that.

Assuming your setup is similar to mine, these instructions I have for my
list makers should work for you:

Edit /etc/aliases and include the aliases that Mailman generated for you.
This will look something like this:

## test mailing list aliases
test:              "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:         "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:        "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:      "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:    "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe:  "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"
## end aliases

Once you've done that, run newaliases (probably in /usr/bin) to let sendmail
know about the new stuff.

That's it!

There are ways to link mailman and sendmail together so that mailman can
create the aliases for itself, but I haven't really looked into those since
there was no great motivation for me to do that.

Terri