[Techtalk] Admin interface for Debian/apt

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Tue May 6 15:45:06 EST 2003

Does anyone know if there is an administrative interface for
installation, upgrade *and* overview of packages nd the general state of
a Debian server?

What I need is something like RedHat Network (since those servers will
replace RedHat servers), i.e. with an easy overview of what is
installed, what is updated, in what state (fully updated, not updated,
update in progress, unknown etc) the installation of a server is and the
possibility of scheduling an update or installation to one or a group of
servers.

Simply running "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" via cron a few times a
day and then parse the mails with output isn't a suitable solution -
there will be far too much information.

I think the most important feature we want is the overview of the state
of the servers. I guess I could make something pretty easily by parsing
the output of 'apt-get -s upgrade', but I'd prefer not to since a) I
need this sooner than I have time to make it, and b) I prefer using a
system someone has already made and where someone has already put some
thinking into it in stead of making my own pile of small scripts and
patches held together with duct tape.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.