[Techtalk] sharing files - ssh and ftp

Maria Pinjanainen mpinjana at abo.fi
Sat May 3 20:27:20 EST 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, kim dang wrote:

> > How about using sftp with Linux-clients and ftp with
> > $?
> > But only through secure tunnel. (SSH) -Sharing file
> > system is always a
> > risk.
> >

> I am not familiar with tunneling. Can you please offer
> a web link or reference so i can get more info on this
> technique?

One link, I think it's clear-looking.
http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Port_Forwarding.html

>  I had thought the ssh was more secure than ftp and
> thought i could set up sshd server and then have
> clients use some SCP client (both in windows and in
> linux) to download files. the problem i am
> experiencing though is that i need to limit them from
> wandering around. Even though i have permissions set
> up so they probably can't get into anything else, with
> SCP they can still SEE all the directories.
> I want them to only see their personal home drives and
> the /pub share.
>
> best,
> kim

Ssh is secure. But it is not for sharing files. You can use it to make
all connections very secure. For example no readable login names and
passwords in the internet any more... :-)
You are looking for example ftp-demon too to make file sharing come true.
It is claimd that Proftpd is easy to configure.
http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/

--

	^-^_mariahdus_^-^