[Techtalk] Picture gallery

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Tue Mar 25 14:05:31 EST 2003

> I was wondering if you knew about some "picture gallery" application, to
> generate thumbnails for a web page from the pictures of a directory? I'm
> trying to use "gimp web gallery", but it gives an error half way.

I use Konqueror's built-in generator (kdeaddons must be installed, then from
the directory you want to create thumbnails in, go to Tools -> Create Image
Gallery) -- very simple and easy to use for a few directories, but a
command-line program would probably be better for a bunch of directories or
changing directories.

If you need something very customized (I did, once), you could write a script
that does something like this on every file (assuming they are all JPEGs;
something similar could be done for other formats):

djpeg -pnm -dct float {filename} | pnmscale -xysize {THUMB_DIMENSION}
{THUMB_DIMENSION} | pnmtojpeg --optimize --progressive --dct float >
{thumbName}

This, of course, requires libjpeg and ImageMagick to both be installed.
--
Andrea Landaker
http://www.icecavern.net/~qirien/