[Techtalk] Picture gallery

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Mar 25 12:18:16 EST 2003

Sara writes:
> I was wondering if you knew about some "picture gallery" application, to
> generate thumbnails for a web page from the pictures of a directory? I'm
> trying to use "gimp web gallery", but it gives an error half way.

I looked a long time ago and didn't find what I wanted,
so I wrote my own: http://shallowsky.com/software/imagebatch/
(That's not a polished package, but might be a good demo for
someone interested in writing their own.)

I discovered later that there are a gazillion packages to do
that, but I didn't search in the right places.  As it turns out,
the best place to search would have been:  http://freshmeat.net/

There are lots of different approaches to the problem and it's fun
to compare and contrast them.  Linux makes it trivial to write this
sort of package, since you have your choice of two excellent sets
of command-line image manipulation programs, Image Magick or netpbm,
so all you have to do is wrap a few scripts around those packages.

	...Akkana