[Techtalk] Finding windows files while using linux

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 19 05:59:44 EST 2003

> Once the filesystem is mounted, anyone can read from it but only root can
> write to it. Don't try to write to it until you're sure that mount has
> correctly guessed the filesystem type. Maybe someone else can tell us how
> to explicitly tell mount what filesystem you want.

mount -t <filesystem> /dev/hda1 /where-ever-you-want-to-mount-it

For my Windows95 partition:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /Win95

For my UDF or packet written CD's:

mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom

The trick is knowing what the filesystem is to put after the '-t'. In
Slackware 7.1, in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules; there is a section wit
the different filesystems listed that can be uncommented. Something like
this should be available in most distributions. If not, the command line
to add the filesystem is:

/sbin/modprobe <filesystem name>

i.e.

/sbin/modprobe udf

Filesystems in the list are:

adfs, affs, coda, ext2, fat, hfs (Macintosh), hpfs (OS/2), isofs, minix,
msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs (which should be Win2k), qnx4, romfs, smbfs,
sysv, ufs, umsdos, vfat, udf. I added udf as a module myself, and jfs,
ext3, reiserfs and others can be added as modules after the fact.

Search google for linux filesystems and you will find a site that has
more filesystems listed to fit almost any fancy.

After that, you just mount the filesystem to the directory point.
Beware, some filesystems need more things in the mount command to be
able to mount it to your system, i.e. nfs:

mount -t nfs -o rsize=8192,wsize-8192,soft,posix,tcp frogstar:/ frogstar

which mounts nfs with extra parameters from my laptop "frogstar", using
the root directory from frogstar, and mounted to my tower in the
directory /frogstar.

Alvin