[Techtalk] Finding windows files while using linux

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Wed Mar 19 10:32:56 EST 2003

Hi.

Thanks to the world-wide nature of the Internet, I woke up about the time
you went to sleep - if college students sleep...  :-)

You can access Windows files by "mounting" your Windows partition on the
Linux filesystem. I believe that Red Hat 8 can read the filesystem used by
Win2k: someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

To mount the Windows partition onto the Linux filesystem (which you can
only do as root), you must first have a destination directory (any empty
directory will do):
   $ mkdir /mnt/win2k
Now mount the filesystem using the device corresponding to your windows
partition. Example:
   $ mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k
The /dev/hda1 is only an example. "hda" means your first hard drive (the
second is "hdb"), and "1" means the first physical partition. I found the
correct disk by trial and error: I listed everything corresponding to
/dev/hd* and then I mounted until I got what I wanted. Most of the time
mount just failed, because the partition didn't exist. I also managed to
mount the Linux filesystem onto the filesystem, which wasn't damaging at
all and was actually kind of amusing.

Once the filesystem is mounted, anyone can read from it but only root can
write to it. Don't try to write to it until you're sure that mount has
correctly guessed the filesystem type. Maybe someone else can tell us how
to explicitly tell mount what filesystem you want.

By the way, to unmount a filesystem, use umount (notice that it's "umount"
and not "unmount": the extra "n" would be too much to type). Alternatively,
the filesystem will be unmounted automatically when you shut down Linux.