[Techtalk] Samba Printer - Access Denied, unable to connect

Syleniel grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Mar 18 01:39:15 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:31:57 -0500
it appears that Subba Rao <subba9 at cablespeed.com> said:

> I have a Samba server with a local printer attached to the Linux
> system. In the past, I could print documents fine from my Windows
> PC.  Now, I cannot figure out why I cannot access my system.

Apparently my former trouble is your fortune. I just fixed a problem
similar to yours. My first question would be: What has changed between
when the printer worked from Windows and now, preferably what changed
right before the printer stopped being accessible from Windows? Has
anything in SWAT or your smb.conf changed since you were able to print
from Windows?

> On Linux, I can submit print jobs fine.  In Windows, I am getting
> the above error.  My /etc/samba/smb.conf is listed below.  Do you
> see anything wrong in this setup?  There are no log entries in the
> /var/log/samba.log file.  It is an empty file.

Your smb.conf looks to have no errors. I see it was created with SWAT,
which usually sets things up without a hitch. Out of curiosity, why
did you pick "security=SHARE"?
There are a few lines I have in mine that I don't see in yours (I
will paste the relevant bits of mine at the end of the e-mail):
[global]
printcap name= lpstat
printcap name = lpstat
printing = cups (or BSD or whatever)

[HP] (mine is called [printers] )
path = /var/spool/samba (make sure this directory is chmod 1777)

Question: You have your printer share named [HP] - is this the name of
your print queue and has this changed between working / not working?
You might add "read only = no" in there.

The first thing I would suggest is to go to the Unofficial Samba Howto
here: http://dennis_caparas.tripod.com/samba_test.html
(There are other copies of it around the web, if you search for "Samba
Howto") Follow all the tests in order, and see what you come up with.
This will diagnose most Samba problems (and has worked well for me in
the past).

I forget if this is in the tests above, but make sure that the user on
the Windows box has a valid samba user account and that the passwords
match.

If these fail you, and they failed me last week, there are tests in a
book called Samba Unleased published by SAMS, written by Steve Litt,
et. al. I haven't gotten through all of it yet, I just purchased it
yesterday. The chapter on troubleshooting printer problems is
excellent. It approches things from a modular perspective to narrow
down the cause of the problem & point of failure. I was able to
diagnose & fix my printing problem in about an hour with this book,
where before I had tried the above link & Googled to no avail. My
problem turned out to be samba not using the cups print system I had
setup, and that the /etc/printcap file was missing ONE line. (blah,
Redhat 7.3 auto print configure borks the day). The Windows box
actually sent stuff to the printer (which started up like it was going
to print and then stop).

Here are some tests to run that are quick if the Samba Howto doesn't
work out. They are taken from "Samba Unleased" and my own experience.

- Run testparm on smb.conf and fix any errors
- Test connectivity between the two boxes by doing a ping from the
Linux box to the Windows box & vica versa
- Test DNS name resolution between the two boxes by pinging the name
of the Linux box from the Windows box & vica versa. Problems should be
corrected by entries in the hosts file.
- Test to see if you can get share names from the Linux box with
  smbclient -NL servername
  Do this first from the Linux box on itself & then from the Windows
box.
- From the windows client type
   echo Hello^L > \\servername\printqueuename
(I had to press the paper feed button on the printer for it to print
out)  If this succeeds it rules out everything but the Windows printer
definition and application you are trying to print from. If this
succeeds, try printing a test page from the properties of the printer
in Windows.
- Try printing a short text only file via smbclient with:
   smbclient '//servername/printsharename' -U userid, put dos.txt
  This rules out samba if successful as the problem.If this succeeds
but the Hello test above fails, a connectivity or name resolution
problem is the most likely scenario. If this fails, the job is getting
lost in samba, do next test.
- From the Linux box (even tho it's working) try:
echo ^MHello^L | lpr -P printqueuename
(I had to press the paper feed button on the printer for it to print
out). If it fails, there is a print queue, print device or hardware
problem.

This ought to keep you busy for a while ;) If this fails, let me know
what your test results were and we'll see what we can do from there.
(BTW, it feels good to be able to give back support into the groups
that have given a lot to me).

--
I hope this is helpful :)
Tracey

smb.conf
[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	load printers = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
	name resolve order = lmhosts bcast wins
	remote browse sync = 192.168.123.255
	hosts allow = 192.168.123.0/24 127.
	encrypt passwords = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	dns proxy = no
	netbios name = localhost
	netbios aliases = localhost
	printing = cups
	server string = Selar Samba Server
	default = fileshare
	unix password sync = Yes
	remote announce = 192.168.123.255/mydomain.org
	workgroup = mydomain.org
	logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
	os level = 20
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false %u
	printcap name = lpstat
	security = user
	max log size = 50
	domain admin group = root @wheel

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[Profiles]
    path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers with the appropriate Windows
# drivers on your Windows clients. On the Samba server no filtering is
# done. If you wish that the server provides the driver and the
clients# send PostScript ("Generic PostScript Printer" under Windows),
you have# to swap the 'print command' line below with the commented
one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
;  print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.   print command = lpr -P %p %s # using cups own
drivers (use generic PostScript on clients).
# The following two commands are the samba defaults for printing=cups
#change them only if you need different options:
 lpq command = lpq -P%p
 lprm command = cancel %p-%j

# This share is used for Windows NT-style point-and-print support.
# To be able to install drivers, you need to be either root, or listed
# in the printer admin parameter above. Note that you also need write
access# to the directory and share definition to be able to upload the
drivers.# For more information on this, please see the Printing
Support Section of
#/usr/share/doc/samba-<version>/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
[print$]	writeable = yes
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
	write list = @adm, at root