[Techtalk] Re: Modem woes >>> Fixed &....

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon Mar 17 15:32:10 EST 2003

> But when I do route -n it shows my default GW as my
> NIC and everytime I have to delete it to add my ISPs
> IP as default route.
>
> I was wondering how can I make this change
> permanently
> so that it doesn't recognize my NIC as a default GW
> everytime the pc boots up.

Well, the real question here is where do you find your network card
settings?  The gateway has probably been set wherever those are found.  A
short google search implied that in Redhat it might be set in
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0

The document I turned up was:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/homegateway.html#CLIENTSETTINGS

I logged into the only RedHat box I have access to, and sure enough, there's
a setting in /etc/sysconfig/network (I didn't have a ifcfg-eth0 file) called
GATEWAY.  I suspect that removing it would do the trick.

You may also want to try grepping through /etc to see if that gateway's set
anywhere.
	grep -r 555.555.555.555 /etc/*
where 555.555.555.555 is your gateway address should help you figure out
where it's being set, and you can remove those which look like gateway
settings.  (grep -r is for a recursive grep -- if your grep doesn't do
recursive, you may have to do a grep for /etc/* and then /etc/*/*  and so
on.)

 Terri