[Techtalk] Installing Linux on an older laptop

txjulie at austin.rr.com txjulie at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 12 02:53:41 EST 2003

Robyn Manning wrote:

> Hi
>
> If your machine has a CD-Rom you could try Knoppix. Knoppix is a
> bootable CD that loads into RAM without touching the existing hard
> drive. It's great as a rescue CD also.

I've tried Knoppix out on several machines now and it has a ton
of problems in my environment.  Not the least of which is that it
=insists= on changing the video modes, thereby making it impossible
to run on one of my machines.  I have a headless machine connected
to my HDTV using the composite video output of an ATI AllInWonder
card.  It also doesn't know what to do with the USB keyboard on
the machine, so even if I could see what I'm typing, it's not
getting any of the keystrokes.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.