[Techtalk] cgi vs client-side scripts

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Tue Mar 11 21:47:19 EST 2003

Hi folks,

another off-the-wall question; gotta love this OS, such fun to play
with!

A friend and I are developing a GPL project together, with a MySQL back
end, for live fish producers to do inventory, shipping, export
documentation with (fish exporting is her background, but she loves
tinkering with computers as well). We want it to be multi-platform, so
we plan to use a browser front end and something in the middle in the
way of scripts to talk to the database & do Stuff. It needs to run on
Windoze because most of the folk in the industry will have that on
their PCs, from the info we have.

We would kind of like to develop the initial app without having to use
Apache, since mostly, initially at least, it would run on stand-alone
systems and those that aren't stand-alone would be pretty insecure (ie,
security not controllable by us); that seems to require Javascript in
the HTML and then some sort of Perl middleware to talk to the database.
We want to lock the browser down (thinking of using Mozilla as part of
the package) so we're not using just whatever browser people have.

If we *have* to use Apache to save such a kludge, then we have to;
maybe down the track we'll look at something networkable, but we'll
need more expertise before we go there...

I've been scouring around for info, and have quite a bit, but I'm
hoping that someone here can point me towards resources, or give me
some tips on what's possible. Should we be looking at PHP or Perl (I'm
leaning towards Perl), or what?

I should note that neither of us has ever written a line of Perl, PHP,
Javascript or SQL in our lives, and we're looking forward to having the
hell of a lot of fun...

Cheers!
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia