[Techtalk] Re: User-Mode Linux v. BSD jail

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Mar 10 13:00:49 EST 2003

Heya --

Quoth jennyw (Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:51:02AM -0800):

Re: LIDS
> Out of curiosity, is there a way to set it up to allow everything but
> to log everything? That might be a way to find out what's running on
> your system before you try to block things.

	There might be, but if so I don't know what it is.  The default
ruleset is pretty restrictive, so you would have to change those rules
one by one to countermand the "don't allow this, don't allow that".

> > [even more sheepish grin]  The really bad part about that was that it
> > horked the driver for my network card, so even under the good kernel I
> > couldn't get online at first to try and google for help.
>
> That's why I keep a Knoppix CD with me all the time! I sometimes do
> things like that, too. ;-)

	Heh.  Everyone does, I think.  Yeah, I have a Tom's rootboot
disk for the same purpose, though I've been meaning to get a Knoppix CD
to play with that also.

> With UML, LIDS, etc. -- they all isolate the damage a hacker can do, but
> they don't necessarily prevent the breakin or provide you info on the
> breakin.

	Right, at least as far as LIDS goes.

Cheers,
Raven

"These shoulders hold up so much,
 They wont budge, I'll never fall or fold up,
 I'm a soldier."
  -- Eminem