[Techtalk] User-Mode Linux v. BSD jail

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Thu Mar 6 20:20:46 EST 2003

jennyw at dangerousideas.com said:
> As I'm reading up on UML, I've noticed that some people have said that
> when running  several UML VMs stability isn't the best.  Does anyone
> have much experience with  this?

I haven't had any complaints about either host or UML stability in quite a
while.  The UML server that I'm most familiar with (because I have a UML on
it) runs between 25 and 30 UMLs at any given time.  At its last shutdown
(for a hardware replacement), it had been up for 42 days.

I don't remember any problems with the UMLs since at least last fall.  The
problems we have had were with the host overheating (hence the aforementioned
hardware-ectomy).

				Jeff