[Techtalk] Netgear MA401 and Red Hat 8.0 on an HP laptop

txjulie at austin.rr.com txjulie at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 2 08:54:56 EST 2003

Michelle Murrain wrote:

> At 12:10 PM -0800 3/1/03, Akkana Peck wrote:
> >I've had bad experiences with both Netgear and Linksys NICs --
> >but Michelle was asking about 802.11b pcmcia cards, not PCI NICs.
>
> Yeah, sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

No problem -- I mentioned all the problems in part because while
I haven't had problems with their 802.11b NICS, I've had problems
with all their other NICs ;-(

> >Alas, the only solution may be to return the card and buy something
> >else, preferably also writing a letter to the manufacturer explaining
> >why you returned the card and that you have advised all your friends
> >to do the same.  (Please do this when you can -- manufacturers
> >invariably use the excuse "We don't get many requests for Linux"
> >or "We don't think there are enough Linux users to make it worth
> >the effort", and the fact that we tend to just shrug and give up
> >rather than pestering them just reinforces that opinion.  Consider
> >signing the Broadcom petition, too, if you care about wireless support.)
> >

> OK - that may be the case, but what card do I buy? I've seen plenty
> of postings which suggest this card *should* just work fine, and I do
> have the tech support guys of Netgear who told me that nothing
> changed. And I feel like if someone suggests "card X" what guarantee
> do I have that it will work? Sigh. This is SO frustrating. Doesn't
> make me want to go screaming back to Windows, but makes an iBook with
> Airport look mighty attractive!

Deb and I use US Robotics wireless NICs in our Thinkpads at the
house.  My work Thinkpad is a Cisco Aeronet NIC.  Of those three
NICs, they all work very well and have never given be a bit of
trouble.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.