[Techtalk] Netgear MA401 and Red Hat 8.0 on an HP laptop

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Sat Mar 1 17:43:16 EST 2003

At 12:10 PM -0800 3/1/03, Akkana Peck wrote:
>I've had bad experiences with both Netgear and Linksys NICs --
>but Michelle was asking about 802.11b pcmcia cards, not PCI NICs.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

>Alas, the only solution may be to return the card and buy something
>else, preferably also writing a letter to the manufacturer explaining
>why you returned the card and that you have advised all your friends
>to do the same.  (Please do this when you can -- manufacturers
>invariably use the excuse "We don't get many requests for Linux"
>or "We don't think there are enough Linux users to make it worth
>the effort", and the fact that we tend to just shrug and give up
>rather than pestering them just reinforces that opinion.  Consider
>signing the Broadcom petition, too, if you care about wireless support.)

OK - that may be the case, but what card do I buy? I've seen plenty
of postings which suggest this card *should* just work fine, and I do
have the tech support guys of Netgear who told me that nothing
changed. And I feel like if someone suggests "card X" what guarantee
do I have that it will work? Sigh. This is SO frustrating. Doesn't
make me want to go screaming back to Windows, but makes an iBook with
Airport look mighty attractive!
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner

XINA version 0.6 is out! http://www.xinasoft.org