[Techtalk] neat project, where to start?

Morgan Landry M.E.Landry at tcu.edu
Sat Mar 1 23:26:06 EST 2003

My friend gave me this neat fractal program he wrote a few years back.
According to him, it's a decent fractal program, and he would like more
to be done with it (although he does not want to continue working on it
himself.) It's programmed in C/C++, uses the Allegro graphics library,
and runs in DOS.  I have both the DOS executable and the source code.
   What I want to do with it is the following:

*license it under the GPL
*clean up the C/C++ spaghetti code
*run in in Linux (or dosemu at the very least)
*use the OpenGL graphics library instead.

What's stopping me? Time and lack of knowledge.  I probably won't start
working on this until Spring Break (which is 2 weeks away), but I wanted
to know where to start in getting this project up and going, and who I
can turn to for help. I don't know how to do anything I've listed, so I
would like to know to whom and where to turn.  Books, web sites, and
people listing would be nice, in addition to advice.

Morgan