[Techtalk] formatting half a mirrored raid...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 13 11:57:56 EST 2003

Maria Blackmore  wrote:
>You don't need to, just type 'raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdd1' and it will
>rebuild it for you, treating it as if it was a new drive just popped into
>the system.

Okay, so I did this and now lsraid for /dev/md0
shows this:

   [dev 9, 0] /dev/md0   ####bunch of numbers#### online
   [dev 3, 1] /dev/hda1  ####bunch of numbers#### good
   [dev ?, ?] (unknown)  ####bunch of numbers#### missing
   [dev 22, 65] /dev/hdd1 ####bunch of numbers#### spare

Also, I would expect the system to start
working considerably to copy over the 110 gb
of data, but it's doing nothing. And yes, I'm
using the exact same raidtab.

Conor Daly wrote:
>You should consider your raid types you are using here.  Your md1 is raid0
>which gives you no redundancy.

Yes, I am pondering this decision... Each 73 gb
drive costs c. $450... So adding a parity drive is
fairly expensive, and I need all the space I can
get. We eating up about 10-15 gb a month +/-.

Plus, my plan is to eventually use the 120gb
drives as backup for the striped scsi raid.

But this brings up another question: can I add a
parity drive and switch to another raid level at a
later day? Or now that I have it setup as raid0,
I'd have to start over with blank drives to switch
to level 3 and copy the data all over again?

>If, OTOH, you use "linear" for this raid set, the disks will
>simply be concatenated and loss of a disk will mean loss of _only_ the
>data stored on that disk.

Linear? "And he learned *new* things to say!"
How do I make it linear? Arg! Is that another
raid level or just a setting for level 0 raid?

Walt

-~

     Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with
     themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
                         Susan Ertz