[Techtalk] XP with Linux

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jun 13 08:52:08 EST 2003

On Friday 13 June 2003 5:31 am, ed orphan wrote:
> Is it possible to install both Windows XP and
> Red Hat 9.0 on the same hard drive and
> have them boot from GRUB ?

Shame on all of you GRUB doubters. GRUB is far more powerful and flexible than
LILO. Shame on my fellow Linuxchix for not paying attention to Announcements
and other posts pointing out my excellent tutorial,
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-ltn-i.html
"Build a cross-platform test network with GRUB and Samba".

Linux and XP will dual-boot quite nicely on a single hard drive. If you need
to share files, create a data partition formatted in FAT32 for read-write on
both platforms. NTFS support in Linux is still maturing.

The short story: Install Winderz first. Then install Linux, and let GRUB have
the MBR. You'll have to edit /etc/grub.conf to get windows back, but that's
dead easy.