[Techtalk] XP with Linux

Staci scorcora at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:47:32 EST 2003

[I recently encountered an overly confident kid on IRC who thought "most people use Grub".

As far as _I_ know, more people use Lilo, and I've always found it far easier to find a lot of
people who use Lilo, and every time I look for Grub-users (usually lookin for someone to help
someone on IRC) I can't find any.

Aside from it being default in some distributions, are there many Grub users around?  Does
anyone actually CHOOSE grub, or do they just choose not to change from the default?  ]

ed, you could do that with lilo, you'd just set RH as your default OS, and set the delay to like
1-2 seconds, that way if you really wanted XP you'd sit and watch and choose during those 1-2
seconds, and if you didn't you'd just let it go.
(I'd also say I found the grub.conf file incomprehensible, and the lilo.conf very simple to edit,
but I don't want to start a flamewar. ;) )

Linux can access that file-system, but you may have to rebuild/replace your kernel to get that
capability.  I _think_ XP uses NTFS.  Last time I looked, you could read that file-system but not
write to it, thru linux. (okay you CAN, but it's "dangerous", you could lose/corrupt data.)

HTH,
Staci
Devoted Slacker (slackware user)

PS since you've been doing your research, you've probably already figured out you don't need
multiple drives, just multiple partitions. :)