[Techtalk] Cisco Routers and secondary IPs

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Jun 4 23:27:32 EST 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Mary Wood wrote:

> I've got a 1700 Cisco Router which we recently changed the IP address
> on. Now it shows the old IP as a "secondary IP." Anyone know how to
> get rid of it altogether or if this will affect anything?

Hi

It's hard to give a 100% accurate answer without seeing the output from
the relavent "show interface <interface>", but you will need to enter
configuration mode, select the interface, and then type "no ip-address <ip
address> <mask>" you may also need the qualifier "secondary" on the end,
but try it without first.

Alternatively, you can paste the output from "show interface
<interface>" and also include the configuration block for the relavent
interface from the output of "show running-config" and I'll give you a
more precise answer :)

Maria

--
fish fish fish, fish fish, fish fish fish, fish fish,
fish fish fish, fish fish, eating fish