[Techtalk] Partitioning issues.

Staci scorcora at wisc.edu
Sun Jul 27 11:45:57 EST 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Conor Daly wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:20:13PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> Staci thought:
> > Yes and no.
> > It was a Win96 fat32 (lba).
> > But not bootable, just for storage.
> > and the answer is NO.  I cannot just reverse the changes.
> > I tried and it didn't work.
> In this case, it doesn't just reverse.  Why?  Because you turned it from
> primary into extended.  As mentioned earlier, an extended partition

That's the thing.
I did and I didn't.
For some weird reason, cfdisk wasn't letting me make an extended partition.
But it would let me make logicals.  So I made two logicals, and no extended.
Does it make an extended by default?  Cuz the number (hda4) was missing from the lineup, but it didn't SHOW any
extended partition.

<snip a whole buncha stuff that's as far over my head as Mars>

> I haven't enough info to hand to be clearer on this but perhaps someone
> else can elaborate and/or fix my gross errors.

I'm not positive what you were getting at, but it looked like backing-up, and I cant even work on backing it up
til my friend finds time to come visit me with his USB HD, and works on it with me.

> BTW, how long will it take to restore the 17Gb of music?

Ummm...you mean restore-restore, or restore-reacquire?
I won't be able to reacquire the SAME 17Gb of music, but I could get a DIFFERENT 17Gb of music in ...oh, probably
3-4-5 days, depending on all the other people on my cable-connection.
Given how people post to newsgroups, it's likely to have about 25-50% overlap with what I originally had.
I liked what I had, it was all renamed and sorted and the bad stuff weeded out....but if it's going to be a whole
'nother week, I might just give up and start all over. :(

sl