[Techtalk] Top posting discussion

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Wed Jul 9 10:09:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Piglet wrote:

> What intrigues me is attempting to determine what's being said here.
>
> Is it "I prefer (top/bottom) but it wouldn't really matter all THAT much if
> people would just please SNIP what you're responding to"

No, but I did say that snipping makes any post more acceptable.

> Or is it "Look, if you can't bottom post, then DON'T POST HERE" ?

Bottom posting is just as annoying, since you have to scroll through acres
of email to find what's going on.

What I'm asking for is inlined quoting.

Like what I'm doing now, going through the email and replying at each
point that I want to, and getting rid of the bits that I don't want to.

> The folks here are essentially reasonable, so what I expect to hear is the
> former, but what it feels like I'm hearing is the latter.

I'm sorry, I can't help what you're feeling.

> So there's nothing wrong with reminders

Indeed not :)

> from time to time when we all get a bit sloppy,

I have a valient hope that there will be a time when all the mailing lists
I am subscribed to are only populated by people who have chosen to post in
the same way as most other people have chosen to.

I still find it astounding the number of people who think that their way
is better, so will do it whether other people ask them to or not.  Mailing
lists are communities, and as such only work with a little mutual respect,
understanding, co-operation and thought to others.

> but there's a difference between that and "my way or the highway"
> (and/or "my way is personally ordained by the One True
> Goddess")........

I will never say this, but if someone posting on a mailing list is posting
in such a way that their posts detriment more than they add, I have a
special section in my .procmailrc file for them.  No-one from this mailing
list is in it.

> --pig, who rather feels like she's been told "change or go away"

Like I said, I wouldn't personally say this to anyone, I would merely
arrange it so that their posts no longer bother me. :)

Maria