[Techtalk] RedHat buggy? (was: Learning distro: Gentoo or Linux From Scratch)

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 23:55:24 EST 2003

Hi, everyone,

I've also run into the screensaver lock-up bug.  As I tend to run RedHat
on some pretty limited machines (i.e.: this Libretto) I often run
without Gnome or KDE, and I definitely use xscreensaver with them.
Also, I've had random lockups which I haven't been able to isolate just
yet, but they always occur when running Gnome and Metacity.  Considering
that this is the default UI, that's pretty unacceptable.  Gnome and
IceWM (not even included in RH9) works better.

The installer has to be Red Hat's worst since 5.0.  I've had it either
die or else get things horribly wrong on more hardware than I care to
think about.  Granted, it usually happens with non-standard hardware
(i.e.: the Libretto again), but the installer from RH 8 did NOT have
these problems.  It seems to me Conni's Vaio problems fit into this
category, too.

I've also run into funkiness with the install scripts on some rpms
requiring me to rebuild the rpm database.  That's something that was
common back in the RH 5.x days, but not since.  Granted, this has only
happened a couple of times, but I hadn't seen it in a very long time.

I'm grumpy enough after having to move across the country to find
employment after my last company went belly up.  I don't need a
cantankerous OS on top of it.  I have Windows for that.

Oh, and yes, when time permits I am going to write up some detailed bug
reports.

All the best,
Cait